Let’s say you have an offer (or a course or a service) that’s valuable for hundreds of people. One that will make a real difference in the lives of those you’re trying to help. You even have a great website that shows how beneficial working with you is. But without decent website traffic, how will people find out about it?
That’s where SEO comes in.
So What Is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization is not just a buzzword bandied about by marketers to make money. It’s a powerful tool that guides your potential clients to your virtual doorstep and ensures that you stand out in a sea of noisy competitors.
The goal of SEO is to expand a company’s visibility in organic search results. As a result, these efforts drive more visitors to the company’s website, increasing their chances for more conversions which leads to more customers and more revenue. – Hubspot
How Does SEO Drive Traffic To Your Website?
Search engines like Google, Safari, and others, show people articles and results based on what they type in the search bar. Their goal is to provide you with the most relevant answers or information. For that, they rank the web pages based on their expertise, authority, and trustworthiness(EAT). SEO is a tool that, if implemented properly, will increase your EAT factor. The more the EAT, the higher a web page ranks. And the higher the rank of a web page, the more traffic it generates.
For example, when I type Amazing OBM in Google. This is what pops up.
The reason – we have optimized our website locally and globally. When someone types Amazing OBM in the search bar, our agency pops up as Google sees it as the most relevant for the searcher. And you can do the same!
Here’s How You Can Increase Website Traffic Using SEO.
1. Start by making sure every piece of content on your website is highly relevant to your readers and what they are looking for.
For example, if you are a mindset coach, writing about business growth will only confuse the search engines. Unless you relate business growth and mindset. Then you’re good to go for a very specific kind of audience who are looking for mindset tips to grow their business. This also means optimizing for expertise, authority, and trustworthiness by:
- Writing content that your target audience actually needs or wants to read.
- Formatting your text so it can be read and understood easily.
- Breaking down your text into short paragraphs.
- Using headings and subheadings when applicable.
- Highlighting important information by bolding or italicizing it.
- Structuring your pages for reading so people stay on them longer.
Chances are, by creating content that’s optimized for your ideal audience, you are automatically incorporating keywords that they would use to look for information. Which brings us to point number 2.
2. Use the right keywords on your website
Keywords are the words people use to look for the information they want on search engines. If you use these keywords on your web pages or blogs, it will tell the search engines that your web page has the information the searcher is looking for. But that’s only if the rest of the page provides information related to that keyword to the audience. For example, website traffic is our targeted keyword for this blog post. As you can see, every bit of information is related to how to increase your website traffic.
Here’s how you can use appropriate keywords to increase website traffic:
- Incorporate your keyword in some of your headings and subheadings and in the first paragraph of your page.
- Try using variations for your keywords at different places. For example, a variation for website traffic can be traffic to your website.
- Don’t force keywords where they don’t belong. Google will see right through it and penalize you.
- Add keywords to the meta title and meta description of your website.
3. Optimize your images for SEO
Even if the image on your website is a stock image, ensure that the search engines know why or how it’s valuable to the users. You can do that by incorporating your keywords in:
- The caption
- Alt tags
You can read about how to do that here.
It’s also important to reduce the size of your images to improve website speed. Plugins like WPsmush and Smush can help with that. Website speed is a part of technical SEO.
4. Don’t forget to focus on technical SEO
Technical SEO is all about improving the technical aspects of your website so that the search engine robots find it easier to crawl through your website to test its EAT factor. You can improve your technical SEO by:
- Making sure none of the links on your website are broken.
- Ensuring all your URLs are short and state exactly what they’re about.
- Checking your site speed and increasing it if it’s slow.
- Optimizing your website for mobile viewing.
- Making sure there’s no duplicate content on your website.
5. The final thing you need to take care of for website traffic is your links.
There are three types of links when it comes to SEO
- Internal links: Links that lead people to other pages on your website
- Inbound links: Links from other websites that lead people to your website
- Outbound or External links: Links from your website that lead to other websites
Search engines follow links on websites to crawl through content and make sure it’s relevant. By adding topic-relevant internal and external links to your web page, you further cement what your topic is about. In addition to that, inbound links from websites that are popular in your niche, or from other top-ranking websites in Google, will improve your trustworthiness and authority.
Getting more visitors to your website doesn’t have to be complex. By following the guide, one action step at a time if needed, you can optimize your website for search engines. But remember, SEO is a long-term game. It requires time and patience to see significant results. But once you do, you have a solid foundation in place for higher visibility, increased organic traffic, and ultimately, business growth.
If that is something you need help with, book a free 30-minute call with us. With a talented team of writers, designers, launch managers, and marketing strategists, AOBM is your one-stop shop for all your digital marketing and content creation needs.
What is SEO? A Guide to Driving Website Traffic
August 29, 2023