During this pandemic, although some of you are maintaining and even securing new clients, many are losing clients and having a hard time growing their customer base.
Please allow me to share with you a process I learned that I think we can all apply to getting new clients.
Last weekend, bored from the COVID-19 lockdown, I decided to dust off my Kindle. I’m the type of person that buys a bunch of books, reads about 30-40%, and then finds something else exciting to read. Digging into my archives (so I don’t buy yet another book), I found a book that caught my attention.
Maybe you’ve read it. It’s called Unfu*k Yourself – Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life by Gary John Bishop. Gary is a no BS kind of guy that tells it like he sees it. He states the obvious, even if you don’t want to hear it. In many ways, I’m like that, but with a softer approach.
The first chapter had me hooked (for a while at least). In this chapter, Gary focused on one question…
What are you willing to do to achieve “X?”
And it’s opposite
What are you unwilling to do to achieve “X?”
- What are you willing to do to achieve the business success you want? What are you unwilling to do?
- I am willing to work hard Monday-Thursday and then shut down.
- I am unwilling to work 60-80 hours per week.
- What are you willing to do to lose those last stubborn 10 pounds? What are you unwilling to do?
- I am willing to exercise five times a week to burn extra calories.
- I am unwilling to give up my favorite foods.
- What are you willing to do to have the marriage you desire? What are you unwilling to do?
- I am willing to practice compassion at all times with my spouse.
- I am unwilling to sacrifice so much that I lose myself.
You get the game. So let’s apply these same principles to getting new clients.
As a marketing specialist, I am forever suggesting new ideas for my clients to get new clients. Sometimes I am met with resistance (unwilling) and other times I experience excitement from my clients (willing).
Let me give you an example of what I’m talking about. I’ve been brainstorming with a client on how to secure new clients. Since I know that video marketing will help showcase her personality and build trust with her audience, I suggested she do a weekly video that answers some of her prospective clients’ most pressing questions. Here was her willing and unwilling list.
SHE IS WILLING TO:
- Try recording videos.
- Answer questions and educate her tribe.
- Be interviewed so she can feed off the energy of another person.
- Do scripted videos where she memorizes what she will say.
SHE IS UNWILLING TO:
- Lose her authenticity in the process of marketing.
- Just naturally talk into the camera because it feels unnatural to her.
- Sell or market in her videos because it’s not her gift.
- Publish a less than high quality video that represents her brand.
The jury is still out on whether or not video marketing will be the solution for her. But from her willing and unwilling list, we have learned that podcasts would be a great idea to try.
Now it’s your turn to test your own willingness and unwillingness to secure new clients right now.
Take a look at the many ideas for growing your customer base and ask yourself what you are willing and unwilling to do:
- Do the work to clearly identify your ideal client avatar
- Review all your website copy and other content to make sure it draws your audience and encourages engagement with your work
- Articulate your offer and build a sales funnel that takes prospects on a journey to learn more about you
- Attend meetups, networking groups, and associations where your ICA is hanging out
- Wow your current clients and then ask them for testimonials or referrals
- Online networking on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Instagram (hint: engagement takes hours)
- Research podcasts and pitch them so you can be a guest speaker
- Put together a masterclass and invite people to attend
- Be consistent with a social media plan that develops the know, like, and trust factor
- Design a presentation and ask to publicly speak at meetings, conferences, or other venues
- Create a LIVE event – a full immersion day and market it to your prospects
- Pay for FB ads to target both warm and cold traffic
- Build relationships with power partners that can help promote your work
- Invest in the time, money, and energy it takes to host an online summit
- Start and grow a Facebook group where your ICA can feel supported
- Hire a team to support your marketing efforts
- Ask everyone you know if they know anyone who needs your services right now
- Work on your mindset to overcome your excuses and blocks
- Hustle and work long hours to build a tribe
- Put yourself out there and start recording videos
- Ask your current customers for video testimonials
- Do a weekly FB Q&A Live
- Consistently write blogs to increase website traffic and attract your ICA
- Create a lead magnet that piques interest and builds your prospect list
- Explore chatbot marketing to take your ideal clients on an adventure
- Read this article “12 Strategies to Attract New Clients to Your Coaching Practice” or other heart-centered business
What are you willing to do to get new clients? What are you unwilling to do? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Amazing OBM will help you brainstorm and execute a plan to get more clients. To learn more about our services visit us here or schedule a free 30-minute consultation.
What Are You Willing and Unwilling to Do to Get New Clients?
April 8, 2020
Be the first to comment