When I first started my virtual office management company, I figured I would work for anyone that needed my services. But I quickly found that not everyone is a good fit for me. My first client was a real estate agent. Although I had strong experience in the tasks she wanted me to accomplish, I didn’t know her industry very well. Within a few months, we were increasingly frustrated with one another because of unmet expectations.
My second client was a licensed marriage and family therapist specialized in treating moms with postpartum depression. Not only did she need a QuickBooks guru like myself, I had over eight years of experience as a certified life coach for moms. We were a natural fit for one another, and our relationship thrives to this day. Since then, I have attracted more clients, and they all operate in the healthcare and coaching industries.
More and more clients are referred to me because of my knowledge of these industries. So, without any marketing or prior planning on my part, I have carved out a niche for myself because small business owners are looking for specialized virtual office assistants.
There are two ways you can hire a specialized virtual assistant. First, you can choose to work with a handful of VAs, each specializing in a particular task or operations area. For instance, you could hire a VA that touts her expertise in social media marketing. Or you can hire one person that specializes in your industry and can help you manage your entire business. The preference is personal. It totally depends on how many people you want to manage.
Regardless of what you choose, here are the reasons a specialized virtual assistant is a smart choice:
- There is a small learning curve. It takes time to train someone to handle your business. Time, you don’t have. So, the faster you can bring someone on board to take the load off your plate, the better for you. A specialized virtual assistant can jump in quickly with little to no guidance.
- You have access to expert advice. Someone who specializes in a particular task or industry has expert knowledge. She probably knows things you don’t know; things that can help improve your operations. Her experience, with other small business owners like you, provides insight that is similar to a mastermind group.
- Your working relationship will be a stronger fit. There is nothing more important than how well you work with your virtual assistant. If your virtual assistant understands the ins and outs of your industry, you will have something in common and a shared interest. There will be a built-in camaraderie that will be invaluable to your relationship.
- Engagement will be higher. People, in general, don’t normally pick tasks or industries they don’t enjoy. Personally, I love working with coaches and healthcare professionals. They are making a difference in the world, and that is something I am passionate about. Because of this passion, I am completely immersed and committed to helping my clients grow their business.
- Operational efficiencies and effectiveness will be top-notch. When you hire an assistant or business manager that is working in alignment with her strengths, you will receive a high degree of efficiency and effectiveness. Time is money. The faster your assistant can accomplish your tasks, the more money you save. And higher quality output from her makes you more efficient, while building your reputation.
If you currently have a virtual assistant or business manager that is not working out for you, it could be that she is not specialized in your industry, or in the areas of operations you need assistance. Take the time to find the “right” person. Outline the specific specializations you need, and begin your search for someone that provides a long and rewarding collaboration for you.
5 Reasons You Should Hire a Specialized Virtual Office Assistant
August 31, 2017