Halloween is almost here, and everyone’s focusing on all things spooky (or maybe you’re like me and focusing on all things chocolate). But the truth is, as entrepreneurs, we don’t usually wait until October 31st to be obsessed with our fears. In fact, it’s often all too easy to get hung up on things we’re afraid of constantly. And as a copywriter, I know that a huge number of business owners deal with writing fears as one of theirs.
I’ve heard all of the writing fears from A to Z, and I’ve dealt with many of them personally as well.
- Your writing isn’t good enough?
- It doesn’t resonate with your audience?
- You offend someone?
- You’re being too vulnerable?
- You’re not being vulnerable enough?
The list goes on and on — and so does the accompanying imposter syndrome. Heck, even those of us who consider ourselves to be writers get it from time to time.
Thankfully, the first step to conquering any fear is to acknowledge it. And with that in mind, here are the 20 Most Common Writing Fears for Heart-Centered Entrepreneurs (and some tips for beating them!).
10 Writing Fears Centered on Your Abilities
- What if you aren’t a good enough writer… or even really a writer at all?
- What if you don’t have anything unique to say?
- What if you make a mistake?
- What if you aren’t clever enough or smart enough?
- What if you’re past your prime?
- What if you’re too new?
- What if you aren’t educated enough or a true “expert” in your field?
- What if you run out of ideas?
- What if you can’t break out of your writer’s block?
- What if you never get a handle on all of the writing that needs to be done for your business?
10 Writing Fears Centered on Judgement from Others
- What if other people don’t like your writing?
- What if your writing is boring or falls flat?
- What if you don’t write as well as _________?
- What if you’ve lost the ability to clearly resonate with your audience? What if you never had it?
- What if people don’t take you seriously?
- What if you share something too personal?
- What if you come across as too sales-y or ungenuine?
- What if no one reads what you have to say?
- What if everyone disagrees with the points you’re making?
- What if no one shares or engages with your post?
But What If…?
These lists of writing fears could have gone on for pages, but you get the idea. You also may have noticed that all of these concerns started with “What if….” And wherever there is a “what if,” there is also a contrasting “what if” to answer in return.
What if you do have something unique to say?
What if you share something just personal enough to connect?
What if your writing is engaging?
What if your post is exactly what someone has been waiting to hear?
You owe it to yourself and your tribe to see if these return “what ifs” are true.
Tips for Overcoming Writing Fears
- Schedule a time in your calendar to write and just do it. Even if what you write is terrible, the act of writing regularly makes it less scary. (BONUS: It also makes you a better writer in the process.)
- Put your content out into the world and then move on to the next thing. Don’t hang all of your hopes and dreams on a single piece of writing. That’s too much pressure.
- Write in a location that inspires you or gives you a chance to contemplate new ideas.
- Read as much as you can. The more you read, the better you will write. Always. Struggling to create time to read? I just joined Blinkist and I am loving it!
- Work on your mindset across all areas of your business and life. The way you speak to yourself and your soul matters.
Bottom Line: Fear is a normal part of being a business owner, and it’s definitely a part of creating copy and content for your business. But when you speak to your audience from a genuine, heartfelt place, you really can’t go wrong.
Some people will resonate with what you have to say… and some people won’t, but those aren’t your people anyway.
Some of your writing may fall flat, but some of it may be the lifeline someone desperately needs.
Your ideal client needs to know what you have to say and how you can help them. All you have to do is tell them.
And honestly, with how scary 2020 has been, what do you have left to fear anyway?
If you need help conquering your copywriting or any other piece of your marketing, the team at Amazing OBM would love to connect. You can start by scheduling a FREE 30-minute consultation. We are happy to chat, offer you some valuable tips, and determine if we are a good fit for one another in future endeavors!
20 Common Writing Fears (and How to Conquer Them!)
October 19, 2020