Launching your course or program is exciting, but it’s also something that requires time, patience, and most importantly, planning. It is NOT for the faint of heart. Launching successfully (without pulling your hair out or crying yourself to sleep) requires a systematic approach to managing and executing all the moving parts. Whether it’s your first launch or the hundredth, it requires a solid foundation in place for success.
While we have an entire course dedicated to putting your launch anxiety to bed and getting your life-changing offer out into the world…
Today, we will touch on the 10 must-haves before you launch your course or program.
#1 A Transformative And Irresistible Offer.
Think about your offer for a minute. How does it help your audience? How will it transform their lives, skills, or businesses? How will it help them go from point A (where they are currently) to point B (where they want to be)? What makes your offer different from other similar offers (if any)? What makes it special?
These are the questions you have to answer (among others) to ensure your offer is exactly what your audience is searching for. That your offer is both transformational and irresistible to your audience.
#2 A Target Market That Needs, Wants, And Is Willing To Pay For This Transformation.
Not everyone wants or needs what you have to offer. And not everyone will resonate with what you have to say. So why not focus on a tribe of people you are passionate about working with? On those who need exactly what you have to offer? This not only makes the entire process easier for you (cause your audience is more open to your offer) but also builds a community of loyal clients who believe in you.
That’s exactly what a target market helps you with. For example, I believe in using heart in business. So it makes perfect sense that I work with heart-centered entrepreneurs, helping them market their business online.
Who needs, wants, and is willing to pay for your offer? That’s your target market. In my 10 Components of a Successful Heart-Centered Launch course, we have an entire chapter dedicated to identifying your target market and pricing your offer accordingly.
Launch Must Have #3: A Strategic Plan That Outlines All The Logistics Of The Launch
Launching a course or program involves more than just creating content and hoping for the best. It requires meticulous planning and organization, which is where a Strategic Plan comes into play. It covers critical aspects like:
- the launch date
- pricing and positioning
- marketing strategies
- budget allocation
- content delivery schedule
- contingency plans
There are a lot of tasks to plan, implement, and monitor, during a launch. I strongly recommend having a project management tool (if not a launch strategist and manager) like Trello or Clickup to make this easier for you and your team. You will need to list every task that needs to be completed, along with any instructions, team members who are responsible, and the exact due date of the task.
There are far too many tasks for me to outline for you here, but I can tell you that I normally organize the different tasks in these buckets:
- Key Dates
- Email Content (this can include promo emails, welcome emails, delivery emails)
- Social Content (this can include FB/IG/LI content, IG stories, videos, etc)
- Landing Pages (this can include your offer sales page, webinar registration page, thank you pages, etc)
- Ads Management
- Graphic Design (email banners, sales page graphics, social graphics, ad graphics, etc)
- Tech Setup and Testing (email marketing software, integrations, setting up FB group, etc)
If you need more help with this, we have complete and extensive written guides to help you with your launch plan and content in our Heart-Centered Launch Course.
#4 An Audience That Is Already Nurtured
This can be your social media followers, existing email list, or the members of your Facebook group. Are there people in there who are your target market? If yes, you need to make sure you have been nurturing them prior to the launch, keeping them warm with valuable content.
The reason…nobody wants to be sold to by a stranger. People are more likely to invest in your offer if they know, like, and trust you. And the best way to do that is to nurture your audience. And if you are starting from ground zero, you have to spend some time growing your email list, or filling your FB group. Or both!
If you’ve been radio silent for the past few months, the last thing you want to do is start launching and throwing a bunch of promotional content at potential leads. That’s the quickest way to get ignored, and often, blocked.
Launch Must Have #5: List Builders That Provide Immediate Results For Your Prospects
In my 10 Components of a Successful Heart-Centered Launch Course, I go into detail about two types of list builders and how to use them for a successful launch.
- A pre-launch list builder is a piece of content that you normally use to start growing your list and re-engaging your current email list or group. It can be a lead magnet you’ve created in the past that you know is popular. Or an entirely new resource that gives your audience a taste of what it’s like to work with you.
- The launch list builder is a preview of the offer you are launching. It should be something that provides immediate results for your prospects (normally in the form of a webinar or challenge). You want your prospects to get the feeling that they received a lot of value but were left wanting more. The more is your paid offer.
And if you need help with:
- naming the list builders
- coming up with the right format for them
- promoting them
- planning for them
Just click here to get access to comprehensive guides on passive lead magnets, active lead-building events, sales webinar, and their corresponding launch assets.
#6 A Heart-Centered Community You Can Launch To
People crave community. It’s one of the main reasons we spend time on social networks – to interact with others – to engage with the world. Before you launch your offer you need to build a heart-centered community where everyone can interact with each other and you can interact with everyone.
When you offer value or go live with your masterclass, challenge, or bootcamp, it’s great to be live inside your community. This community can be on:
- Mighty Networks
- Your own private membership (free or paid)
People can ask questions inside your group. They can seek help from you and other members. You can ask questions to get to know people better. This gives you valuable market research and an opportunity to get to know your audience better.
Launch must-have #7: Growth Strategies to Increase Leads
You always need a pipeline of new leads, especially during launch time. You can certainly work with your existing leads or prospects, but your sales will increase proportionately to the number of leads you have. And to get these new leads you need a growth strategy.
There are two ways to generate these leads:
- Organic Strategies
- Paid Strategies
Organic strategies are CHEAPER but SLOWER.
Paid strategies are FASTER but COST MORE MONEY.
I always recommend a combination of BOTH. But if you can’t invest in paid advertising yet, then you can still launch successfully by spending more time growing your current list/group.
Let’s first discuss organic growth strategies. There are a number of ways to generate leads organically:
#8 Storytelling and Heartfelt Content that Converts
People buy from people. People invest in people. That’s why storytelling and heartfelt content are key ingredients to attracting interest, building a relationship with your leads, and moving them closer to the sale (or transformation). Here are some ways you can build that connection with your ideal audience so you can convert them into clients and fans:
- Create content that lets your audience know that you are fully aware of their pain points.
- Provide value and establish your expertise
- Get real and honest with your audience.
- Share your experiences, including emotions, failures and triumphs.
- Talk about how your offer is going to complete the transformation they want. Address the common objections.
- Get inside their shoes and have a true desire to help them. Everyone has their “stuck” story so be prepared to shift them.
This type of content can be delivered as sales pages, masterclasses, social media posts, lives in your community and so much more. All of these together create an experience of what it would be like to work with you. This experience is what convinces people to buy from you.
#9 A Marketing OBM and solid team to manage and execute the entire plan
I’m not saying this because I run an agency that helps heart-centered entrepreneurs launch their offers and market themselves online. I’m saying this because launches are hard. With a lot of moving parts that require time and attention. Time and attention that will take you away from your zone of genius – helping people with their transformations.
Maybe you are asking yourself, “Can’t I do this all by myself?”
The answer to that question is maybe. It really depends on how skilled you are in each of the must haves we have discussed.
- Are you super clear on your offer and your target market? (if not, you might need a marketing strategist)
- Have you launched before and have a clear understanding of how to create a strategic plan? (if not, book a marketing strategy session with me)
- Do you know all about the many details that go into a launch plan and can you set all this up in a PM tool for yourself or your team to follow (if not, you might need a marketing OBM)
- Do you have the time to build a community of heart-centered followers? (if not, you will need marketing and administrative support)
- Are you skilled at running paid ads? (this is a tough one and you might need an ads manager)
- Is writing content in your wheelhouse? (if this is not your zone of genius, you will need a content writer/copywriter)
- Do you have a flair for design? (if not, you will need a graphic designer)
- Are you a natural techie and can set up all the software required for your launch? (if not, you will need a tech VA)
- Are you ready to manage a whole team of people to pull off your launch, while also concentrating on writing all the content you will teach? (if not, you will need a marketing OBM)
But I think what it really depends on is how you want to spend your time. More often than not, hiring a team to help with your launch is an investment in your business. And if that’s the direction you’re looking at, I’d love to ask you to peek at our launch management services.
Launch Must Have #10: An Authentic Selling And Growth Mindset
Sales, when done “wrong,” can feel icky. When I say “wrong,” I am referring to a lack of authenticity. When you come to the sales conversation, a genuine desire to support and provide a solution to the problem your prospect is having or the goal they are trying to achieve, you sell with authenticity. And your prospects can sense that. In my 10 Components of a Successful Heart-Centered Launch Course, I go into detail about the mindset shifts required to sell with authenticity (and remove the ‘ick’ factor entirely) and secure an amazing new client.
But since I can’t get into so much detail right now, let me tell you about the other mindset piece that you will need to tackle. The fact that launching will require you to continually learn and grow.
Launch results are different for everyone. There are so many factors that can determine the success of your launch. Sometimes you can have amazing results that make you want to shout from the rooftops, and sometimes you have poor results that make you want to curl into a ball and never launch again. What is most important is that you use absolutely everything about the launch as a learning opportunity. I promise you, if you learn and grow from the launch, and tweak things for the next launch, you will see improved results.
If launching is something you are considering or have done before, and you want a smoother and less stressful experience, then I’d love to introduce you to my 10 Components of a Successful Heart-Centered Launch Course.
It’s a super detailed video course that goes in-depth about each of these must-haves. It comes with over 75 pages of guides, prompts, and workbooks to help you plan and launch your offer successfully. You can know all about it here.
10 Must Haves Before You Launch Your Course/Program
October 10, 2023